When a plumbing emergency strikes, it’s crucial to think on your feet and act quickly before your property has suffered extensive damage that can cost a fortune to repair. Since dealing with water damage requires a high level of expertise, it’s best to contact a reliable water damage restoration company as soon as possible.
The seasoned water damage technicians from Corona and the nearby area specialize in water restoration services and are equipped to deal with any water damage emergency efficiently and effectively. Here is what you need to know about water damage to be able to take the right action and protect your property.
How long does it take for water damage to show?
In the event of a plumbing emergency, the faster you act, the better. However, you need to detect a water leak first. Most often, the signs of water damage are clearly visible, like in the case of water pooling or water dripping.
On the other hand, some signs are harder to notice or can take a bit longer to appear, and you need to pay close attention to uncover them. These are some of the most common signs that homeowners come across:
- Discoloration. This is one of the most evident signs that your ceiling has water damage. So, as soon as you notice the first water spot, it’s time to call your chosen professional to inspect the property. The affected area often gets a yellowish or brownish color, and bubbles can also appear.
- Change in texture. When it comes to recognizing water-damaged flooring, aside from discoloration, you should focus on the floor’s texture. If you notice any signs of warping or buckling, your wooden floor has definitely been affected. It can also happen that it swells due to the excessive amount of water that it has absorbed. You need to get it fixed immediately since mold will start growing under the floor within days.
- Strong humid odor. It appears after a while and is caused by mold that has started spreading around the affected areas. Wet drywalls are the perfect environment for mold growth since they can absorb a lot of water creating perfect conditions for mold and mildew to thrive undisturbed.
How fast does mold grow after a water leak?
When dealing with water leaks, mold should be one of your main concerns since once it infests your home, it is not that easy to eliminate and can seriously harm your health. Under appropriate conditions, mold grows extremely fast.
It takes only 24-48 hours for mold to start growing after your property has suffered water damage. Once it sets in, mold spores are released into the air and it can eventually spread all over your property.
How fast the mold will appear will differ from case to case, but the safest way to deal with it is to contact professionals. They are aware of all those hidden corners where mold often grows undetected and will know how to eradicate it once and for all.
How do you check for water damage?
Checking your home for water damage frequently is essential if you want to discover an issue in a timely manner and reduce the risk to your property. The high-risk areas that you should inspect first include walls, floors, pipes, basement, and attic.
When conducting the inspection, you should pay close attention to anything suspicious and ask the following questions:
- Does the drywall seem to be in good condition or does it look swollen?
- Do I feel a strong scent of rotten eggs anywhere in the house?
- Is the paint peeling off the walls and does it look bubbly?
- Do the walls feel damp when I touch them?
- Is there any loose caulk around pipes?
- Are there any dents visible on my roof?
Of course, if this seems too complicated and you want to be 100% certain that your home has been properly checked for water damage, don’t shy away from contacting the experts.
Need help with a water damage emergency in Corona or the area?
Call EHS! Our leading experts will do everything in their power to address your emergency and prevent any further damage to your home. We use cutting-edge tools which, paired with our team’s expertise, will enable us to come up with the best solution to your troubles.
We are a locally owned business that you can fully rely on. Whenever an emergency strikes, give us a call and rest assured that we won’t keep you waiting. With us, you are in safe hands, so feel free to relax, go for a walk or visit the magnificent Mission Inn Museum, while we take care of the rest.