Clogged drains are a common issue in every household and can be extremely annoying, especially when they produce an unpleasant odor which quickly spreads around the place. Therefore, you should always be ready to act promptly and contact emergency plumbers in Coto de Caza, CA or near your location as soon as you notice the first signs of clogged drains. Instead of trying to handle the problem on your own and risking complicating the situation further, rely on top-notch pros with vast experience who provide excellent service and stand behind their work.
However, aside from hiring a reliable plumber and being ready to tackle the issue when it occurs, let’s discuss how to avoid it in the first place. You may not prevent every single drain clog, but you can at least take precautionary measures to decrease their number.
What you should never put down the drain?
Knowing what you can or cannot put down your drains is the key step for keeping them unclogged. Here is a list of the biggest no-nos that you should remember:
- Paper towels and cotton balls are a common cause of clogged pipes. While it’s true that they are biodegradable, they still possess great absorbent quality and that’s why they are likely to settle down in the pipes creating blockage instead of quickly dissolving once thrown away.
- Flushable kitty litter. Aside from clogging your drains, kitty litter can pollute the water supply and consequently endanger many local animal species as well as cause severe infections to people.
- Condoms are unfortunately one of the more likely sources of a clog in the pipes. They are usually made of latex which is not biodegradable and should never end up in your pipes.
- Feminine products are another culprit behind blocked pipes. Even though that may be labeled “flushable” on the packaging, they cannot dissolve in water and it is best to keep them out of the drain.
Do coffee grounds clog drains?
Yes, absolutely! Coffee grounds may be small, but they can surely clog your drain. Instead of breaking down and dissolving, coffee grounds tend to clump together in water and settle down creating a blockage. It’s time to forget all about the old wives’ tale saying that putting coffee grounds down the sink will help preserve the pipes. After all, you certainly don’t want to reschedule your visit to the picturesque Gene’s Park because you had to stay home and deal with an annoying plumbing emergency.
Is it OK to flush food down the toilet?
Even though flushing food scraps down the toilet may be tempting, you should avoid this since certain foods can be extremely damaging and create numerous plumbing issues. We have singled out a few of the most dangerous ones:
- Starchy foods like mashed potatoes, rice cereals and instant noodles.
- Oils and fats are particularly problematic because they harden when they cool down which leads to them accumulating in the pipes and creating obstacles that can easily constrict sewage flow.
- Grains should never be flushed since they swell in the water and can form an obstruction faster than the other kinds of food we’ve mentioned so far.
- Flour mixed with water is basically glue, so you definitely want that far from your pipes.
Are you looking for experienced emergency plumbers in Coto de Caza, CA and across San Diego? Call EHC today!
No matter what kind of plumbing emergency you are dealing with, EHC is just a phone call away. We’ll immediately send our tireless crew to your location and do our best to find the most effective solution to your troubles.
We are constantly investing in cutting-edge equipment and updating our procedures to follow the modern trends of the industry. After all, our main goal is to provide you with the best service in San Diego, CA leaving you with a smile on your face. No challenge is too big for us, so don’t hesitate to call us at any time of the day or night.